Monday, September 21, 2009

Health-Conscious Drinking

As previously mentioned, I am a self-professed health nut; I even prefer my hard alcohol with healthy accouterments. I try not to be overly high maintenance when I'm out by asking questions like, "Do you mix your drinks with juice that has additional sweetners?" But never doubt, that I'm thinking it! In the comfort of my own home, I've been known to juice grapefruits to go with the vodka and breakfast tacos, not on work mornings though.

I love Gin and Tonic, but usually finish my drink a little sad that the tonic has to be so over -poweringly sweet. You cannot imagine my joy when I first learned of Q Tonic through Goliblogski, dear college friend and San Francisco culture chronicler. Q Tonic is made with agave nectar instead of high fructose corn syrup (yay!) and does not have any artificial flavors (yay!). Dreams of a drink with just me, gin, agave, quinine, and bubbles. The quest began to find Q Tonic. It is available in Austin and I finally purchased some last weekend. Ooo-la-la. Delightful and delectable if I may say so myself.

Sitting around with friends enjoying my first Q drink ever, Sara (neighbor and Blog Muse) read the Q label and one sentence stuck out, "We [Q-makers] began with handpicked Peruvian quinine, just like when tonic water was invented back in 1825." I mean sure it is interesting that tonic water has been around since 1825. Some interesting history surrounds tonic water and I love that the Brits took what was essentially medicine and transformed it into cocktail hour, but come on, the real question here is obvious, right? What is Quinine? Obviously it is hand-pick-able and prevents malaria, but I didn't even know it was a plant. New quest: find out about this Quinine character.

Here is what I learned:
  • Quinine comes from the bark of the Cinchona Tree.
  • First discovered as an analgesic and fever-reducer by the Quechua indians of Peru.
  • Quinine is flourescent under UV lights - break out the black light kids and lets drink gin and tonic!
  • Many tonic waters actually use synthetic tonic, but not my new buddy Q.
I don't know how James Bond's buddy Q feels about this elixir, but I love it!

5 comments:

  1. mindy, how could you keep this from us??!!! all this time, and we never knew you liked gin and tonics. that used to be dan and my favorite drink!!! think of all the g&t good times that could've been had!! wah wah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like some Gin and Q...either with or without the Q. I'm not picky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have absolutely asked "Is your root beer made with cane sugar?" at a restaurant. And it feels very uncool. I'm glad Matt pointed me over here, so I can follow your blog! xoxo, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for agave and cane sugar fanatics! Yay for Gin! Yay for new blog followers! Never fear there will be future G&T fun times to be had:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. - Props to MattD for pushing blog readership my way! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete