Thursday, November 4, 2010

Confessions of a Complete Texter


I have never fully embraced the texter's dictionary of abbreviations. I believe texting is best suited to short, simple queries.
Text 1: "Are you here?"
Response: "Yes, in the back."
Simple and helpful. If you find yourself texting "AISB" (As I Said Before)...consider that a phone call might be a better way to communicate.

In my stone-agedness I also have never been big on IM. Generally if I'm on the computer, then I want to complete something and if I want to *talk* to someone I prefer not to have a conversational lag of each person answering several lines back.

However, the times they are a-changin'. Now that I work remotely IM is one of the best ways to get questions answered and check in with friends (and bosses) no matter what time zone and country. This means I have a world of acronyms to catch up on. Usually I can figure them out, but one day, when I was a little brain fried, I got a "BRB" from my boss. My first thought was, "Really? Burpicons?"

Oh...Be Right Back. Super useful compared to the e-burping option that sprang to my oddly wired brain... However, if you google "burpicons" there are a wide variety of burp icons available...Maybe I'm not so odd afterall.

2 comments: