
I was totally going to let this one go un-blogged. One more piece of horrific world news. But then there was such a special word choice I *HAD* to share. NPR (color me surprised) reported yesterday on the Ugandan Pastor Martin Ssempa. He is leading a movement to criminalize homosexuality.
That's right, criminalize it. Life in prison for consenting gay sex. Death penalty for gay sex with a minor or for having sex with your partner if you are HIV positive. In an effort towards equal opportunity, there is also jail time for straight individuals who don't turn in a suspected gay. I thought "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was out-dated.
There is a church in Nevada headed by Pastor Kevin Odor who is supporting Pastor Ssempa out of their desire to help the AIDS problem and to support Ssempa's work teaching abstinence to college students in Uganda. Ummm, let me give you a snipet from the NPR piece:
"His heart is not to kill people," Odor says. "He is a pastor of the Gospel that believes in redemption and his heart is to redeem people."
Odor says he does not "personally" endorse the death penalty or life sentences for gay men and lesbians. Asked why he would support someone who does, he sighs.
"We want to help the AIDS problem in Africa, and we found somebody who is making a difference," he says. "So we support him."
By the way, we still aren't to the special word choice. Here it comes. Pastor Odor is up in arms that he and his church are being "crucified" for their compassionate support of the people of Uganda. Of all the groups in the world, you would think a fundamental christian organization would understand the term "crucifixion." I love hyperbole as much as the next little lady, but if I remember correctly Jesus died because he was wrongly accused. Even if Odor's church adamantly opposes homosexuality, it seems like a stretch to suggest the death penalty is a compassionate attempt to redeem. I do not see how Odor misses the lack of compassion.
A lot to ponder.

wow. unbelievable.
ReplyDeleteA wonderful and dear friend of mine emailed me her thoughts about this post and I wanted to share them:
ReplyDeleteI heard the same NPR broadcast and had exactly the same reaction to the entirety and the choice of the word "crucified". What an insult! Maybe someone should read up on how compassionate Jesus was and how He was NEVER recorded as saying a word against homosexuals. He did call self-righteous, judgmentals "vipers and hypocrites."