
ust in case you love fonts as much as I do, I thought you needed to know about the Daily Drop Cap. [Thanks Goliblogski for always finding the cool stuff!] Every work day, typographer Jessica Hische posts a single, decorative cap letter. These are free to use under creative commons as long as you just post them in blogs. I do believe you will be seeing more of these because they are fun, fun, fun. If you are font crazy, you should also take a gander at dafont.com. This site has full fonts for free; some fonts have the option to donate to the artist. Font creation is an incredible art form at which I hope to never excel. I love appreciating fonts, but I'm pretty sure if I had to create one I would start to loathe seeing serifs and such. I would probably rebel and use Comic Sans just to annoy everyone.
In his book, A Whole New Mind, Daniel Pink explores how Design shapes our world and our work force. He notes that our awareness of fonts has changed drastically in the last few decades. To prove his point, he inserted a quick matching quiz:
- What font is this?
- What font is this?
- What font is this?
b. Arial
c. Courier
The answers are at the bottom, but I'm guessing you were all able to get most of these matched correctly. Think back, would you have been able to do the same 10 or 20 years ago? [Mom, don't answer that, you will skew the results!]
I am currently reading Pink's chapter on Story and how most of our minds are built to remember stories more easily than plain data. He explores what ramifications that has for how we should approach business. More on that soon.
How did you do on the quiz?
Answer Key: 1. B, 2. A, 3. C

i love me some courier!
ReplyDeletei found this post to be fun, interesting, and especially COOL! :) love ya, min!
Love catching up on the blog! (I got a 100% on the quiz, BTW...)
ReplyDelete