Dough, my favorite Italian bistro in SA, has been very good to me this year. This place is not much to look at in its strip mall residence, but they make their own cheese, have out-of-this-world food, and a wine list that makes me very happy. Dough introduced me to my 'wine of '09' (i.e. this year's favorite wine varietal) Ripasso. This type of wine uses partially dried grapes (Amarone style) mixed with young, fresh grapes which means lower tannins. (That's what he said.) All that I know is that it is simply delicious and so easy to just keep sip, sip, sippin' away.
Tonight I went for happy hour and was flabbergasted to find zero, zilch, nada, no Ripassos on the wine list. How can Dough do this to me? Will the week be ruined?!? Never fear, the waitstaff had two recommendations and, more importantly, two samples. One was blah, but the other, divine. If you are in need of a lovely, smooth red this holiday season -- Allegrini Palazzo della Torre (2005 I think), Veneto. Yum. Yum. Lip smackin' good.
In my professional research mode, read Google, I just discovered that the Allegrini uses partially dried grapes as well! Evidently I like raisin wine! Who knew? Thanks Dough. Thanks 2009.

I was totally there for this revelation. YAY FOR ME! And you (by default).
ReplyDeletemindigo, do you realize it has been over 2 weeks since your last blog post? your fans need their Mermindia fix! we miss you! ;)
ReplyDeleteShostakovich! Two weeks is unacceptable! Where does the time go...don't answer that. I will remedy the blog-less-ness muy soon. I promise!
ReplyDeleteok, i'm counting on it! :)
ReplyDelete